Calciopoli investigator tenders his resigination
Borrelli, a retired criminal prosecutor who gained prominence during the 'Clean Hands' corruption probes that changed Italy's political landscape, said the powers of his office were "extremely modest". He said his resignation had been made inevitable by Monday's resignation of the Italian Football Federation's emergency commissioner Guido Rossi, the man charged with cleaning up the Calciopoli mess.
Borrelli, 76, was handpicked by Rossi, 75, to pursue the FIGC probes that led to penalties for clubs, referees and officials including the relegation of Italian champions Juventus and a five-year ban for its ex-general manager, Luciano Moggi, Calciopoli's alleged ringleader.
In his resignation letter, Borrelli said he had quit "principally" because of the resignation of Rossi, who was forced to give up his post after being named head of embattled telecoms giant Telecom Italia. But the veteran former prosecutor then answered a plea by FIGC's interim chief, Massimo Coccia, to review his position after FIGC appoints a replacement for Rossi on Thursday.
Experts said Borrelli was unhappy with the FIGC inquiry office's heavy dependence on criminal prosecutors and inability to act effectively on its own, especially in probing financial issues. They also said the ex-Clean Hands spearhead believed only a figure with the clout of Rossi could withstand vested interests within the Italian football world who were against root-and-branch reform.